On Friday 27 November 2020 the Piscopia Initiative hosted an afternoon of talks by female speakers who have a PhD in mathematics (or a closely related subject) and who are currently working in industry.
Do you want to speak at our next PiDOORS event or to suggest a speaker? We’d love to hear from you! Get in touch at Tiffany.Vlaar_at_ed.ac.uk
PiDOORS (Piscopia Initiative – Doctors Outside Of Research Schools) speakers will discuss their PhD experience, research, and current role. The target audience for the talks are 3rd/4th year undergraduate and MSc students, but PhD students or academic staff are very welcome to attend.
Speakers of PiDOORS November 2020:
- Dr. Meire Fortunato is originally from Brazil, she obtained her PhD in Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley. Her thesis was on mesh generation using numerical methods. Since 2016, she has been a research scientist at Google DeepMind.
- Dr. Sorcha Gilroy obtained her PhD in Natural Language Processing (specifically probabilistic models of graphs) from the University of Edinburgh and is currently a data scientist and data science team lead at Peak.ai
- Dr. Tendai Mugwagwa obtained her PhD in Theoretical Immunology from Utrecht University, the Netherlands. She is a visiting researcher at Imperial College London, has lectured at various AIMS (African Institute for Mathematical Sciences) centres and worked at Public Health England for several years as an infectious disease modeller. Currently she’s a HTA manager at Pfizer.
- Dr. Nicola Thorn has a PhD in Operator Theory from the University of Reading and is the CEO of AND Technology Research Ltd., which develops solutions for medical and energy markets, creates internet of things products and performs data analytics.
- Dr. Helen Webster has a PhD in Integrable Nonlinear Differential Equations from the University of Kent at Canterbury. She is a part-time lecturer in mathematics at Exeter University and a senior scientist at the Met Office, where she models the transport and dispersion of atmospheric substances.
Schedule (in GMT):
2:15pm Welcome by the Piscopia Initiative
2:30-3pm Dr. Nicola Thorn, CEO of AND Technology Research Ltd
3-3:30pm Dr. Sorcha Gilroy, data scientist and team lead at Peak.ai
3:30-4pm Coffee/tea break and chat with current mathematics students and PhD students
4-4:30pm Dr. Helen Webster, scientist at the Met Office
4:30-5pm Dr. Tendai Mugwagwa, previously infectious disease modeller at Public Health England, currently HTA manager at Pfizer.
5-5:10pm Short coffee/tea break
5:10-5:40pm Dr. Meire Fortunato, research scientist at Google Deepmind.
Old Eventbrite page: https://pidoors.eventbrite.com